Thursday, November 1, 2012

Vitamin D Day

I was doing research about Vitamin D to find something to write about this week, and guess what I learned? November 2nd is “World Vitamin D Day” and November is “Vitamin D Awareness Month.” (The thing Google will find never ceases to amaze me) HOW PERFECT! The whole reason I started this blog was to share what I learned in my quest to raise my Vitamin D to a healthy level, and how tanning was the path I chose to make that happen. So you may ask what exactly does Vitamin D do? Well, there are plenty of studies a person can find with a simple Google Search. One thing I found particularly interesting was this graphic. http://www.vitamindday.net/why-vitamin-d-day/a-nutrient-for-the-entire-body/ this is just pointing out some of the research that has been done. I have found numerous articles with other claims of the benefits. Just yesterday this article talks about one of the dangers of a low Vitamin D level. http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-vitamin-d-bladder-cancer-20121031,0,1751973.story. So I think it is safe to say Vitamin D deficiency is something that should be avoided. So imagine my dismay that there is one study I found last week, that is getting circulation in the press trying to convince the public that it may not be necessary to get as much Vitamin D as originally thought. http://wearecentralpa.com/fulltext-healthcast?nxd_id=408442
It boggles my mind that there would be a suggestion that people generally get a sufficient amount. If that were true we wouldn't see an epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency. It is confusing and misleading to the public. Especially going into winter months where it is more difficult to get sufficient Vitamin D naturally from sunshine. I know this blog post seems to have “link overload” I just want my point to be that there is science behind a lot of the information about getting a Vitamin D level to a target range of at least 40-60 ng/ml. One more link about Vitamin D winter and how difficult it is to get to that target range during this time of the year in North America. http://www.vitamindday.net/why-vitamin-d-day/winter-is-here-be-vitamin-d-aware/ Please check these out and educate yourself about this very important information.

No comments:

Post a Comment